February 02, 2013

Sitting in the Sun

My little girl and I have been sitting in the sun, soaking up much needed vitamin D and catching glimpses of the lives carrying on around us. Children playing, bits of conversations here and there, cars stopping at a stop sign and driving off. It is interesting, it remind's me of a children's board book, one that wants to familiarize a child to the world around them. It isn't very relaxing though. Not for me.

To get the most out of sitting in the sun, when land locked without access to the glorious sound of waves, is sitting in the sun with chickens. Try it. It is a truly relaxing experience.  They will come and tame the space around you. Any pressing worries or predicaments are removed. I don't know how they do this. Then you are gently hypnotized, your eyes close, all you hear is the gentle clucking and cooing of the hens around you. Whatever they are saying or singing must have been positive because I would always emerge from the spell feeling relaxed and revitalized and fixed.

Today, in the sun, we watched children at play and it was a pleasant break. However, I fell under no spell.  I imagined being among several gentle hens as they scratched the ground, grazed and carried on, working away all my earthbound concerns. I fell under no spell, but I realized that these magical, little birds, that many find comical and awkward are in fact tiny healers if you allow them to be. Let them in.

No comments: